How to scan a book but, first we should ask ourselves: Why is reading important? And the answers are many. Each reader could speak personally about the incredible benefits they have found in reading. However, let us allow science to talk to us. From scientific studies, we can obtain answers that motivate us to read books.
Among other things, science tells us that a person who reads lives longer. It is what Yale University researchers assure us. They conducted a study of more than 3650 people over 50 years old and found that those who had the habit of reading a book for about 30 minutes a day lived longer.
In the same way, science has found that the habit of reading improves vocabulary, thinking ability, and concentration. It also develops empathy, social perception, and emotional intelligence. So, paperhelp has decided to share some tips on scanning a book with you.
Reduce the time to read a book
- Since we live in an era of hectic life and where time is always short, the first thing we have to achieve is to learn how to "redeem the time." What does this mean? Simply that there is time that we are wasting, and we have to rescue it.
- Where is it that we can redeem time? Indeed, each of us will have to discover where time is being diluted, but we can make two suggestions: reduce the hours of television and reduce the hours of internet.
- By doing these things, we will have that time available that we need to invest in reading. There is a reasonable consumption of time in these two activities that we practice daily: the use of the television and the internet. We need half an hour a day to read a book effectively.
Reading a book for pleasure.
- Most people have a terrible experience with books because they have almost always forced us to read something we didn't want to. The only thing these impositions have achieved is that we are animosity towards books.
- We have to do it for sheer pleasure to read a book with good results. That means that we have to choose what we want to read.
- We are sure that in the great ocean of the publishing world, you will find appealing topics that will satisfy your taste. You can find endless business, science, history, psychology, and literature issues. Maybe you prefer to read about the origin of the human being, or the history of your country, or your favorite music genre.
- The important thing is to know that many books are waiting for you and that we are sure you will enjoy them.
- Reading a book in a short time is related to our reading speed. The average reader reads between 200 and 300 words per minute. However, it is said that Stalin read about 400 pages per day and that John F. Kennedy reached 1,200 words per minute.
- Undoubtedly this is achieved through the use of specific techniques. Ramón Campayo, considered "the best memorizer in the world," tells us that there are effective techniques for speed reading.
- But, as well as these, there are numerous speed reading techniques that we can acquire through a course or a web page.
You don't need to go from the front cover to the back cover.
- What do we usually find in a book? The usual thing is to find in a book one or two main ideas that the author develops with great skill. Let's say that this is what the average reader is like.
- Now, good books have two or three main ideas. And if we want to move to the big leagues, we have to say that great authors or super books have five valuable ideas.
- Because of this, we realize that it will not be necessary to read a book from cover to back cover. In a first reading, you can leaf through it for about five minutes and use the index to understand how the contents are arranged in the book. This way, you will be able to grasp the main idea.
- After that, you can do a second, more in-depth reading for 30 minutes to review the book's best parts. And, of course, if the book warrants it, you can do a third reading.